Monday, September 23, 2013

Apple (Pie) Season is Here!

My husband picked half a bushel of apples yesterday. Guess what that means...

I spent the afternoon making two yummy apple pies. Every one I bake reminds me of my wonderful late mother-in-law. When I was a few months pregnant with my daughter, I craved apples. Yeah, I know. Weird. Not pickles and ice cream. Apple pie. My husband happened to mention it to his mom, and she made an apple pie for me. :) Best mother-in-law ever!

So, in memory of that amazing lady, I'm sharing my apple pie recipe.


Never Fail Pie Crust

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
1 egg, well beaten
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons water

Combine flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg, vinegar, and water. Add to flour mixture and stir only until all flour is moistened. Shape into a ball. Cover or wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Divide dough into four parts. Roll between waxed paper to desired diameter. Removing 1 sheet of waxed paper at a time, line pie plate with crust. Fill. Repeat with another 1/4 of the dough. Cover filling, trim crust to 1/2-inch overhang. Crimp closed and cut steam slits in top. Makes 2 double-crust pies.

Apple Pie Filling

6-8 cups baking apples (depends on pie plate size), peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, cut into 3 equal pieces

Combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice in a large bowl and mix well. Pour into pie crust. Dot with butter and add top crust. Cut steam slits. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes. Place foil over crimped edges of crust after 35 minutes to avoid over-browning. Cool completely before storing. Eat while warm (or cool)!

Enjoy!

Mellanie Szereto
Romance...With A Kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment